Monday, September 2, 2013

To Criticize or not to Criticize, is that the Question?

There have been a number of negative comments recently on the activities of certain athletes, entertainers, and politicians. It has raised the question of how much can those of us who consider ourselves Christians participate in this talk that ranges everywhere from playful banter to outright venom. Does what we say as a Christ-follower say more about the topic at hand or about us and our walk? I don’t know about you but that question is beginning to step on my toes.

Most recently the antics by Johnny Manziel have stirred considerable controversy and a firestorm of negative comments. Some have insisted that the negativity has no place when discussing the attitudes and conduct of a twenty-year old football player. “Character assassination”, it has been called. “We all made mistakes at that age”, some have said. My answers to those comments are that it’s not character assassination as much as it is suicide and I know plenty of young men and women that would not, and did not act that way in similarly tough circumstances.

And what about Miley Cyrus? Evidently her performance, while not seen by quite as many of my friends, was equally disturbing. I understand (since I did not see the awards show) it was presented in a forum that many of our nation’s youth were watching and would most certainly be emulating. I’ve heard “trashy” and “provocative” used to identify her actions, and from what I have seen I would probably agree.

These are both tough calls. There were obviously some actions in both of these cases that offended many, especially if you are not a fan of either of these young people. Christians, in many instances were members of the groups offended. So where do we stand when it comes to criticizing the actions of others publicly? Does it matter whether or not the offender professes to be a believer, as well? If we can criticize, how far can it go, and who decides?

While these are great questions for which I cannot answer to anyone’s satisfaction, let me go one step further and talk to those of us who don’t need the obvious actions of a Johnny or Miley (hey, maybe we shouldn’t name our kids with an “y” on the end of their name….) to bring out our negativity. Are you the Christian man or woman that cannot stand (insert team(s) or player(s) name here) and MUST point it out at every opportunity? Or are you the person who disagrees so violently with the political group and/or person in power that EVERY word from your mouth and/or FaceBook post reminds us all of that fact. Even closer to home, are you the person that ALWAYS criticizes the pastor and/or church leadership, regardless of the circumstances?

Unfortunately, social media has made it far too easy to make this behavior well known by all. I confess to being a part of the problem at some level, but have yet to decide exactly where the freedom to voice my opinion and my responsibility to share my thoughts get crossways with God’s desire for me to control my own thoughts and tongue and offer grace instead of judgment. Ouch.

I’m sure I don’t often cross that line (trying hard to pull beam out of own eye here) but I do often feel “put-off” by other Christians who continually speak badly of others. The President is always wrong. The Rangers are trash and will never win it all. The Cowboys can never win with a jerk like Tony Romo or Jerry Jones leading them. I could go on and on and some people do just that. Even the ones I pretty much agree with get old and I quit listening to what they say. This makes me wonder, does it hurt our credibility when we try to talk to others about the important things? How do I speak so poorly to you about someone God loves just as much as me, then turn around and share with you the Good News?

I feel certain the answer must reside somewhere within my attitude. So, I commit to be poorer in spirit, able to mourn with others, and more humble, I will hunger and thirst for justice, show mercy, strive for a pure heart, work for peace, and be prepared to be persecuted for doing the right thing. Yep, I think that’s a good place to start. Feel free to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment